Here’s the latest from Coming Soon.Net :
When the Stars Wars Disney+ series Andor premieres later this year, one character from the Rogue One prequel — the Imperial droid K-2SO — will not be involved in the show. According to the head writer, there are various reasons for that.
“From a storytelling point of view, there are multiple reasons,” head writer Tony Gilroy told critics at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Wednesday (via The Hollywood Reporter). “I would say, ‘Wait and see.’ It’s a story we are eager to tell. It’s difficult to carry an Imperial droid around with you and not draw all kinds of attention. It’s a difficult piece of luggage. When we do it, we’ll do it in a spectacular fashion as opposed to presenting it and ignoring it, or presenting it or hiding it, or the bad versions we would have been forced to do.”
Due to Andor taking place so much earlier than the events of Rogue One, the writers of the series are more so focused on the journey of Andor’s of life. According to star Diego Luna, it makes perfect sense as to why K-2SO wouldn’t be involved just yet.
“We have five years [before the events in Rogue One],” Luna said. “If he knew K2 back then there would be no journey to go through.”
Tony Gilroy also later added that the writing team knows how the series will end, and notes that the show will directly lead into Rogue One, completing the loop of the series and film.
“Our last scene of the show, our 24th episode, will walk the audience directly into Rogue One and directly into the first scene of Rogue One.”
Andor is executive produced by Gilroy, who previously directed the reshoots for Rogue One. Gilroy was originally expected to direct three episodes but was forced to give up the position to Black Mirror‘s Toby Haynes due to pandemic-related travel issues…..